Our daily life, what is here on the surface is only a mere part of the whole …The big chunk of our thoughts and mind functions is hidden in subconscious part.
Subconscious part-the one we rarely dig in, deep container of desires, fears and psychological patterns as well as beliefs is the hardest part to access when we are tangled in tasks of mundane life, pulled towards pointless conversations or trying to be the helper of the world.
Create with me….Create from your own creative source...
- I run local courses for therapeutic use of expressive arts in Northamptonshire through Learn2b programme (Northamptonshire County Council Adult Learning programme)-those courses are free of charge and require self-referral- please visit Learn2b website for more details- Click HERE.
- Workshops in person-the latest “Soulful Expression” is now fully booked- please email me if you interested in future adventures.
- Online programmes: visit my You Tube channel “Artlysing” for free videos and inspirational clips.
- I also volunteer at local Mind-the mental health charity where we transform art studio into creative and healing space.
Examples of courses and sessions:
- Positive Me-Art- emphasis on emotional wellbeing through creation of recycled cards, sensory exploration of colour, texture and pattern, work with words and images combinations.
- Jigsaw of life- visual journal work built around subject of life changes and transitions- images, collage, mandalas and mandorlas.
- Future Me- vision boards as exploration of self. Introduction to visual mind mapping concept too.
- The book of Me-6 weeks mental health programme with altering a children's book. Variety of techniques and creative adventures including mandorlas, collage, working from subconscious, painting, blind drawing.
- Intuitive Abstracts for healing-3weeks course with introduction to intuitive approach in paintings with layers.
- Soulful Expression- expressive exploration of creative voice, re-discovery of natural creativity- special one for those who say are not creative!
- Art Medicine- collection of therapeutic, creative techniques designed to use visual creative arts as healing practice. Includes watercolour expressive abstracts, mandalas, collage, doodling as meditation practice.
- Before and After- 6 weeks programme of working in a personal diary built around processing and reflection of personal grief.
Episode 3 of "Therapeutic visual journaling" takes on the journey of unfolding- once we open up to creativity and make first marks we are faced with...well let's say "reality of our own creativity". We start seeing first attempts of images, first layers, things are emerging and we do not always like what we see. This is the moment that many can decide to give up and do not continue, others will be faced with disappointment or just frustration. In visual journaling this is the initial stage, the first layer that despite how much it seems be difficult, in the end is rarely visible - still though very crucial to the process. It is the catalisator, an initiator, the kick that we need to accept and move on...
It is almost 2 years since I put the concept of "artlysing"in the form of a blog. "Artlysing" built from two words "art" and "lysing" where the last one comes from "analysing". So it refers to seeing, understanding (or maybe rather the mere attempt of it) life, ourselves through the lenses of art. How art can become the communicator to its own creator? How the roles are somehow reversed? I truly believe that expressive arts have a capacity to take us on this unbelievable journey, to the land where subconscious can be manifested, unknown declared and process of creating becoming profound time of humanity going beyond its own limitations. When we create we can just open up and listen...listen to your own art instead of dictating it what it meant to be...Then the magic happens...
Art is a tool that can be used in therapeutic setting for vast reasons and in numerous ways. From typical art therapy to more expressive forms of therapeutic arts including a group work. However more awareness there is about healing qualities of creativity and arts more questions are emerging. Lots of people have the vision of healing art's quality in a form of simple escapism. Getting lost in drawing or paintng and in result drifting away from painful problems. Simple and effective like a mental painkiller, providing temporary but instant result. There is much more in power of creative arts and the way it can connect with human being. People have been creating from beginning of humanity not just to create a bubble zone of mental distraction...Art talks to people on a different level, somewhere from nowhere and everywhere at the same time. However it is the magical process that requires the will of creator to open up and happen...
Creativity comes and goes...the muse never really belongs to us for long periods of time. However we keep creating and asking for her, if no response we shout and wait...And we wait and wait as her asbsence is prolonged. After quite few conversations with various artist I noticed that we know so little about the period of let's call it "quiet creativity". Those moments that some call tortures, other just lack of inspiration. But if we just look at that from a different angle we can actually start kind of enjoying those less or zero productivity moments... The first and simple rule is "stop comparing with others"!
"One day you simply give up or quietly walk away from all that what creates disturbances for your soul. You will find the peace within, beyond Self, somewhere there without worry about yourself or those around. You will become the creator of the world in that very moment regardless of the centuries of past and vast unknown of the future. Whatever you choose- paint, pencil, brush, crayon, pen...You just simply and amazingly become a part of a bigger reality flowing like a fluid of life through your mind. And that is when you tasted the true creativity and there is no way back". -from "Praying to my crazy mind diary"- a small notebook with my random thoughts:)
"Readiness" is the second episode of "Therapeutic visual journaling" and it is all about the first act of doing. "Readiness" is the breaking moment when the creative process starts. It is the moment of breaking initial fear and doing regardless. I would like to invite you to take this act of bravery and make first step, your mark, pick up a pen and simply start. As simple it sounds I know from my guiding practice that there many people finding it very difficult...
Abstracts are mysteries...Not only in a sense of how open they are to interpretation depending on viewer's eyes but also from the perspective of how they are created. I took abstract in last 6 months on the journey of intuitive approach, inner perspective, personal self-discovery and its therapeutic power. It took me a while to understand the connection that is formed between the creator and abstract shapes, colours combination and composition. There is so much more deep there...
Art journaling, visual journaling or simply personal, creative diary- many names but also many people who can confirm that that form of art has a massive healing capability. Books are and have been the personal thoughts collectors for centuries. From written forms to more expressive ones- journal is always the trusted companion. Gradually my art journaling practice took me on this journey as discovered more and more that it can heal, reveal, tell me so much that is beyond possibility of expressing with words. Inspired by work with others and guiding them on this self-discovery journey I decided to release new series on You Tube channel. After the initial “Subconscious collage” followed by “Behind the journals” series this time I am taking a plunge into a strongly therapeutic aspect of visual journaling. Join me!